Build Your Own Ikea Desk

Last week I was excited to share our Black White and Gold Office Reveal with you all. Thank you for your kind words about it, made my week! Today I want to talk about the desk I ended up getting, well actually making, to fit the space! You might remember a while back I shared my Ultimate Guide to Office Desks. What I love about those posts is they get my wheels turning and I somehow always find end up with something that is not quite what I originally intended, but much more to my liking! In this case, I didn’t purchase any of the desks I rounded up, but they narrowed down my design and helped me create this (for a FRACTION of the price!)

I was looking online at Ikea one Saturday and saw they had a table top & leg/trestle section. I couldn’t believe it when I saw these trestle legs for only $10 each! And a 37″ white table top selling at only $6! I was practically out of my house and in my car before you could say Swedish Fish, driving 36 minutes South on the interstate with only 2 hours till closing. Driving to Ikea last minute has become a weird habit of mine this past year… My husband usually says “um I’ll just stay here” when I get the crazy Ikea lady look in my eye. So you might glimpse me turbo powering my cart through the shortcuts while I’m in single-shopper-mode getting my ish so I can go home and put it together!

And these are really on the easy assembly chart. (I admit… I did screw one or two of the..err.. 6 parts.. on wrong. But that’s also a weird Ikea related habit of mine.) The table just lays flat on top!

The whole thing is pretty sturdy in my opinion. I do believe it came with some screws to hold it all together, but I haven’t tried yet. My cats have jumped on and off it and I cant rest my arms on the edges without it budging. Though, I can imagine a toddler hanging on the unmounted sides ending poorly. Just food for thought.

Here it is against the black wall.

Ikea has a few more options for table legs + tops too, if they’re available in your area or online. Here’s what I’ve found so you can build your own Ikea desk too!

Build your own modern + sleek desk for as low as $26 (like this pretty one with trestle legs + white table top!)They have a great selection of table top options starting as low as the $6 I paid for the LINNMON top and higher for the bigger or solid wood tops. The trestle legs are just too cool! If you prefer a heavier look, the top two are just for you. One even has a shelf for a plant or some notebooks. I added another option of using this ALEX drawer unit. We have this one and it’s a fantastic option for under the desk on one or both sides! Dwell Beautiful used the rounded corner top in her office update recently, check it out here!

Ikea’s website can be hard to navigate at times so here are the links that will take you straight to the Ikea Table Tops &  Ikea Table  Legs

Does this help you plan your new office any better? It’s so nice to have an inexpensive desk option that is still stylish (and new!) Check back at THESE inspirational offices and note how many use these awesome legs!

modern signature

*This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and love. Read more on my FAQ page.*

Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

17 Comments

• Reply Erica

This is fantastic! I totally love the options you choose for your office (which is totally swoon-worthy, BTW!) Great minds think alike! ;) Thanks for the shoutout! I need to come over and see your new desk in action!

March 2, 2015 at 9:26 am
  • Reply Shannon [Our Home Notebook]

It’s beautiful! Thanks for sharing – it’s such a great budget friendly desk option. And those trestle legs. Love.

March 2, 2015 at 1:44 pm
    • Reply Petite Modern Life

Thanks for checking it out! Ikea has been nailing it for me recently!

March 2, 2015 at 7:25 pm
  • Reply Colleen Pastoor

I just picked up those legs this weekend! Great minds ;) Your office turned out so perfect! It makes me want to get my act together and finish mine.

March 2, 2015 at 5:12 pm
    • Reply Petite Modern Life

Great minds indeed :) I had called Erica (from Dwell Beautiful) the night I was last minute going down to invite her to come with! She couldn’t and asked what was on my list and I said THEM LEGS and she had just bought some the weekend before. I love it!

March 2, 2015 at 7:27 pm
  • Reply Jenea Eng

I just got the stuff to build this I wanted a longer desk so mine cost 38 dollars;) I also have the crazy single shopper mode anyways love it!

March 4, 2015 at 11:21 am
  • Reply Think & Make Thursday No. 21 - Petite Modern Life

[…] Build Your Own Ikea Desk […]

March 5, 2015 at 3:01 am
  • Reply Simple Ceiling Light Makeover

[…] Build Your Own Ikea Desk […]

March 9, 2015 at 3:03 am
  • Reply Mandi at Ellipsis Blogger

I built my writing desk, drafting-table-style with those trestle legs (::high five::), at IKEA as well, and definitely wish I had this post as a reference then. I wrote a “what’s-on-my-desk” post on my blog and gave this post a shoutout! :)

April 15, 2015 at 11:55 pm
    • Reply Petite Modern Life

You rock! Thanks for the shout out. I love your desk and accessories. I wish I could have more offices to decorate!

April 16, 2015 at 7:56 am
  • Reply Katrice

Did you have to buy additional pieces to attach the legs and the table? I might get the products shipped to my house.

April 29, 2015 at 9:45 am
    • Reply Petite Modern Life

Hi Katrice! So for the Trestle legs it looks like they only have plastic bumpers to hold the table on top. Other legs come with hardware to screw them in.

April 29, 2015 at 6:52 pm
  • Reply Big Changes! | staywithmeonthis

[…] Unfortunately desks can be expensive, even more so if you want a lot of storage like I do! I saw this article and was inspired to create both of us desks at Ikea! I personally like a wood top, so I’m […]

July 15, 2015 at 7:00 pm
  • Reply shelly

Your links for the table tops and legs were extremely helpful! haha! I resorted to them a few times over the past few days trying to plan my new office. I love the dark legs/white top combo for your dark walls!

September 29, 2015 at 9:44 am
    • Reply Petite Modern Life

Oh I’m so glad! I literally hate looking some things up on Ikea sometimes, it can be so frustrating to find the right categories! Thank you for your sweet compliment :)

September 29, 2015 at 11:50 am
  • Reply Kiya griffin

Recently tried to order from ikea online since i dont have one within 3 hours of me…the cost of the table was $30…the shipping came out to $348. I guess ill have to wait for the table until im in a city with ikea. Sigh…

November 9, 2015 at 12:30 pm
    • Reply Petite Modern Life

Oh man :( That is the worst! Might be time for a little road trip sometime? ;)

November 11, 2015 at 3:01 pm