A richly glamorous black, white & gold office makeover on Petite Modern Life

Black-White-Gold Office Reveal

Alright I’ve been doing a lot of talking about offices recently while dropping tidbits that I’ve been working on my own. Well, it’s not 100% done, but I’d like to show you the first office reveal. Let’s jump right into it shall we? Here is what the office looked like when we moved in and what things I wanted to start tweaking.

A richly glamorous black, white & gold office makeover on Petite Modern Life

Metal blinds.. shiver.. It may have been wasteful, but I pulled those out of every room and opted for curtains if they needed some privacy. They probably would have been removed anyways when we had all the single pane windows replaced with double pane vinyl windows. I digress..

I first attacked the room with white paint and wood floors and new baseboards for good measure. Then, it turned into a storage room (along with all the other rooms that aren’t in use. Is that like a room purgatory?)

A richly glamorous black, white & gold office makeover on Petite Modern Life

After obsessing over black paint (forever), I decided to make it the main feature in the office. There’s a certain feeling you get when you start rolling out black paint on your walls… It’s kind of like skinny dipping where you feel giddy, crazy, and hope no one judges you when they find out. I went with that euphoric feeling all the way up to the ceiling and thought, “oh yes..” And kept on painting.

IMG_3239

It was perfect. I don’t really buy sample paint. I figured if this Valspar paint said Kettle Black, it meant B L A C K (.) And it did.

IMG_3036

I’ll be sharing more of my DIY tricks + where-froms in another post, I found a gold paint product that sped up the decorating process immensely. Many of the items were things I had around + I touched up a little. Not that lamp though. You might’ve seen in in my Black + Metallic Office post a while back. It was on sale at Urban outfitters and I decided to order it after I made the post. Lucky me, they stopped selling it online 2 days later. I’m never that lucky in life.

IMG_3020

Next– THIS beauty. I have a childhood friend who is so very talented in all creative areas of life. One of her talents is painting. All proceeds from her paintings go to supporting an orphanage she cherishes and has worked with in Uganda. Getting to have this original artwork and the other pictured in my house is such a treat.

IMG_3014

IMG_3013

IMG_3006

A richly glamorous black, white & gold office makeover on Petite Modern Life

Check back next week for more office projects, details + DIY inspiration! Hope you enjoyed this black, white and gold office reveal have a great week!
modern signature

*This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and love. Read more on my FAQ page.*

Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

63 Comments

• Reply Jesica

I’m obsessed with the black paint! I wouldn’t have known what to do with the ceiling but it looks great being the same color. I’ve considered doing something similar in our master with dark gray, but the swatch has been on the wall for over a year and I haven’t been able to make up my mind. I love the light fixture too, it’s so hard to find non boob shaped flush mounts!

February 23, 2015 at 9:06 am
  • Reply Corinna - For My Love Of

I LOVE IT! I want to paint something black but I’m so worried I’ll have to repaint in a year due to a spontaneous move that probably won’t happen.

February 23, 2015 at 11:13 am
  • Reply Shannon Churchill

You knocked it out of the park on this one, Karisa! Great job.:) I love how you painted the ceiling black too! There is a great geometric metal waste basket at Target that would look amazing in your fabulous office.

February 23, 2015 at 3:59 pm
    • Reply Petite Modern Life

I don’t need to be referred twice to anything from Target! Thank you Shannon!

February 23, 2015 at 6:05 pm
  • Reply Kyla @HouseOfHipsters

HOLY CRAP! This is A-MAZING! I so better see this on Found & Foraged this week =) Hint hint nudge nudge!

February 24, 2015 at 10:27 am
  • Reply Robin @ designbyrobinsnest.blogspot.com

This looks awesome!

February 25, 2015 at 9:54 am
  • Reply Ashley@Biggerthanthethreeofus

This looks so good! I’ve been wanting to go with a deep navy in our guest bedroom and you may have just nudged me to it.

February 25, 2015 at 4:29 pm
  • Reply Bam's Kitchen

Stunning results. I have never thought to paint a room a dark colour but it really works well. Nice to meet you

February 25, 2015 at 8:34 pm
  • Reply Amanda @ Dwelling in Happiness

Holy cow, this is awesome!! I haven’t seen many people use black on walls, but I LOVE it, especially paired with gold! Nice job!!

February 25, 2015 at 8:45 pm
    • Reply Petite Modern Life

Thank you Amanda! Yes it does come off as a bit crazy (especially when I told my mom..)

February 26, 2015 at 6:26 am
  • Reply Patrizia Papi

waooow! God job. I love it :))

February 26, 2015 at 12:48 am
  • Reply Katie

WOW, this transformation is stunning! It’s so bold and creative and I absolutely love it! I also love that painting that your friend created. Thanks so much for sharing at The Makers!

February 26, 2015 at 6:36 am
  • Reply Brita Long

I’m obsessed with home offices right now. I work from home, and I have a home office in the rental house we’re vacating, but I wasn’t willing to strip the ugly wallpaper for the short period of time I knew we’d be here. My husband and I are looking at townhouses in Atlanta, and once we pick out a place to live, we’re going to set up a proper home office for me. We’ll still be renting, so we probably can’t go crazy with paint, but I’ve found some amazing–and affordable–wall decals to use. Your home office is beautiful, and I’m definitely adding it to my Pinterest board!

February 26, 2015 at 7:18 am
    • Reply Petite Modern Life

Very fun! I hope you can find something that will work for you in a rental! Thanks for stopping by + pinning :)

February 26, 2015 at 11:23 am
  • Reply Shannon [Our Home Notebook]

This is so gorgeous! I want to go dark on our bedroom walls too and I’m sure everyone thinks I’m crazy. But it’s just so beautifully dramatic! Love the gold touches.

February 26, 2015 at 1:01 pm
  • Reply Morgan Molitor

GORGEOUS!! Love, Love those dark walls and gold accents. Just beautiful.

February 26, 2015 at 6:18 pm
  • Reply Laura Irion // Avery Street Design

WHOA!!! This is fabulous!! I’m finally catching up on the F&F party from Saturday…and I got as far as your blog and I’m getting lost. Haha! Dude, I cannot say enough good things! The black paint was a great call, and I LOVE how you kept it going on the ceiling. Niiiiiiice. And the black legs on the desk- a perfect detail. That chair tho! I will stop now…many many emoji claps my friend. I love it!

February 26, 2015 at 7:34 pm
    • Reply Petite Modern Life

Hahaha you’re killing me! To top off all your sweet compliments, you called me dude. Which made me smile :D

February 26, 2015 at 8:20 pm
  • Reply Amy | Club Narwhal

Oh la la! This makeover is fabulous! I am loving that dramatic wall (makes me want to go paint crazy :). Thanks so much for sharing on The Makers!

February 27, 2015 at 6:03 am
  • Reply Corinne

I love it! It’s the perfect space for focusing and thinking, completely uncluttered and without distractions. Even the decor you’ve chosen is simple and understated. So, LOVE the makeover but my favorite part of the whole post is the before picture where you point out the parts we would normally edit out but are a REAL part of the process (the light fixture that isn’t so easily removed and the paint edge that we want to magically disappear. That is exactly how my home improvement projects go. Thank you so much for linking this up at the This Is How We Roll Thursday party. I hope you continue to come back and link up your amazing posts.

February 28, 2015 at 2:34 am
    • Reply Petite Modern Life

Thank you for your sweet words Corinne! Pleasure to link up with you guys & thanks for stopping by!

February 28, 2015 at 9:51 am
  • Reply Ashley ~ 3 Little Greenwoods

Whoa. Love all the personality you have packed into this Home Office Reveal!

February 28, 2015 at 6:01 am
  • Reply Shannon Churchill

So STUNNING!! Fabulous job Karisa!!

February 28, 2015 at 8:39 pm
  • Reply Jenny @ Refresh Living

WOW! Your office looks phenomenal, but I give you even more props for having the guts to do it. It paid off; it’s unique and gorgeous!

March 1, 2015 at 1:38 pm
    • Reply Petite Modern Life

Ah thanks Jenny! I figured, “why the heck not?!” If I hate it, I’ll get another paint can some other time ;)

March 1, 2015 at 4:44 pm
  • Reply cassie @ primitive & proper

love this space! i want to add an office area to my guest room and this is great inspiration!

March 1, 2015 at 2:59 pm
  • Reply Breanna

This is amazing. I love that you aren’t afraid to go with a dark wall color. It’s so dramatic and I love the contrast!

March 1, 2015 at 4:25 pm
    • Reply Petite Modern Life

Thanks Bre! Felt a little sassy going at this project, not going to lie ;) hence the black. everywhere.

March 1, 2015 at 4:46 pm
  • Reply Sarah

beautiful! i would have never been brave enough to paint a wall black but it looks so good!

March 2, 2015 at 6:51 am
    • Reply Petite Modern Life

Thanks Sarah :) It was fun (with a side of “if you’re sure looks from my husband. But he loves it too now!)

March 2, 2015 at 12:03 pm
  • Reply Carmia

Wow, this is stunning. Everything just pops off of that wall. Love it! Great job!

March 2, 2015 at 8:01 am
  • Reply Lou Lou Girls

Beautiful! This looks so amazing. Pinned and tweeted. We love to party with you, so I hope to see you tonight at 7 pm.. Have an amazing day! Lou Lou Girls

March 2, 2015 at 12:53 pm
  • Reply Emily @ Two Purple Couches

Wow!! This is stunning! The black definitely makes a bold statement! Thanks for linking up at Creative Spark; hope you’ll come party with us again today!

March 4, 2015 at 7:56 am
  • Reply Emily

Your office looks incredible! I love the black and gold, you are definitely brave but wow was it worth it!

March 4, 2015 at 12:27 pm
  • Reply Angela, blue i style

Karisa, I LOVE your black office!! I am dying to paint a bathroom black, and now I’m even more motivated to go for it! I would love for you to come and link up this post at our link party, The Creative Circle! http://blueistyle.blogspot.com/2015/03/TheCreativeCircleWeek6.html

March 12, 2015 at 10:53 am
  • Reply Angela, blue i style

March 12, 2015 at 10:53 am
  • Reply Jill @ The Rozy Home

I still can’t get over how much I adore this office!!! I cannot wait to paint my office black! :-)

March 30, 2015 at 10:07 am
  • Reply Emily

I love the gold flush mount! I’m wanting to buy one for my kitchen, but I’m concerned it won’t put out enough light. Does it do the job for you? I figure if that sucker can illuminate this (delicious!!) black-walled office, it can bounce enough lumens off my white paneling!

April 14, 2015 at 3:32 pm
    • Reply Petite Modern Life

Hi Emily! It’s such a pretty fixture and shines brighter with LED bulbs in it, but since it only shines down and not out the sides, it’s not as bright as other lights (which is a bummer!). What is the lighting like in your kitchen? Check out what Kristen from the Hunted Interior said about her use of the same light in her kitchen! http://www.huntedinterior.com/2013/02/flush-mount-look-for-less.html

April 14, 2015 at 3:40 pm
      • Reply Emily

Such good comments over there! Thanks for the link. I think as long as this little guy puts out at least SOME light, I’ll be golden. We’ve got undercabinet lighting and a pendant over the sink as well, so I’m pretty sure I’ll be well-lit enough to avoid a heinous knife-chopping injury.

April 14, 2015 at 6:13 pm
  • Reply Jill @ The Rozy Home

Well my dear Karisa, I’m in the home stretch of my black and white office and I can’t wait to show you! Thanks for having the guts to go black because it motivated me to finally do it myself!

April 28, 2015 at 6:07 pm
    • Reply Petite Modern Life

woohoo!! It’s going to be a party of a day! I cannot wait to see the rest of your place!

April 29, 2015 at 6:53 pm
  • Reply Simple Ceiling Light Makeover - Petite Modern Life

[…] sharing my Black White Gold Office Reveal, I knew I couldn’t hold back on my light fixture tutorial too long before people thought I […]

May 16, 2015 at 4:46 pm
  • Reply Build Your Own Ikea Desk - Petite Modern Life

[…] week I was excited to share our Black White and Gold Office Reveal with you all. Thank you for your kind words about it, made my week! Today I want to talk about the […]

August 14, 2015 at 10:35 am
  • Reply The Makers Link Party

[…] you take a look at this amazing and very chic Black, White, and Gold Office Reveal by Petite Modern Life?! We are dying over every single detail–especially how the gold pops […]

October 27, 2015 at 10:58 pm