DIY Floating Sideboard by Petite Modern Life >>and Ikea hack!

DIY Floating Sideboard Tutorial

Hey everyone! I’m so grateful for the lovely responses I received about our Scandi Living Room Reveal! Thank you all for being so lovely over it, made my week! So much so that I decided I needed to share the DIY floating sideboard tutorial right away!

DIY Floating Sideboard on Petite Modern Life >> an Ikea hack <<

**Before I begin.. As I’m writing this I discovered that on February 2nd Ikea discontinued the AKURUM cabinets and the specific doors we used for our project! What a let down! In its stead, I would suggest using the BESTA cabinet or the SEKTION cabinet with choice of door type.**

MATERIALS

– 3 cabinets. Choose length depending on your space.

– 6 doors (we chose the middle grade white, prices vary)

– Required suspension rail for your cabinet

– 2 packages of cabinet shelves

– Laminated pinewood the length of the sideboard plus 2 inches. You can get this at Lowes!

– Laminated pinewood the length of the sides of the sideboards (cut at home)

– Dark Walnut stain

Here’s a sample Ikea shopping list for you with the products they now carry: Floating Sideboard Ikea Shopping List

**Note: for our sideboard we used cabinets that were 30″ long, 12″ deep, and 15″ tall. The closest to that size I’ve found on Ikea since their change in inventory is the BESTA cabinet. **

I made an animated GIF of our sideboard assembly for your viewing pleasure! Check it out.

DIY floating sideboard by Petite Modern Life >> An Ikea Hack <<

Ok some details.

Sorry the GIF didn’t have the final two steps ;) I returned a lens I was borrowing and realized my remaining fixed lens couldn’t fit our projecting into its frame! By the time I got another lens it was a bit late! Nevertheless, here are some tips for mounting this beauty.

1. Be sure to put the cabinet backs on the right way hahaha. I love that you can see Mr. G bringing one back to fix! It’s not an Ikea project without putting on something backward right?

2. Decide where your TV needs to be positioned to be viewed comfortably from your couch. From there decide how high your sideboard should be mounted. Our cabinets are about 10″ from the ground.

3. Our suspension rail was too short so we cut it and mounted it in two parts. Use your leveler! When you’re securing your suspension rails into the studs, find out if you have electrical wires running through the wood at that level! We drilled right through a wire! Yah, woops. Luckily the opposite wall is in the garage so we could access the mistake and fix it from in there.

4. Secure TV mount then cut holes into the wall and cabinets with a drywall saw to run the wires through to your outlet. If your outlet isn’t center or you need more space for your electronics, use a drill bit to cut a hole between the cabinets and pass the cords through.

drill bit

5. Spend some extra time sanding your pine board, we got ours incredibly smooth and it feels so legit! (Here’s what the pinewood looks like in its clear wrapped package. (…love that oak stained.. cradle?)

laminate pine wood for floating sidboard top

6. We used one coat of dark walnut stain on the pine boards before securing it into the cabinet with a nail gun.

And that’s it! What a great Ikea hack right!? I love the minimal look, the storage it provides, and the comfortable low viewing height of the TV.

DIY Floating Sideboard by Petite Modern Life >>and Ikea hack!<<

DIY Floating Sideboard by Petite Modern Life >>and Ikea hack!<<

DIY Floating Sideboard by Petite Modern Life >>and Ikea hack!<<

DIY Floating Sideboard by Petite Modern Life >>and Ikea hack!<<

DIY Floating Sideboard by Petite Modern Life >>and Ikea hack!<<

DIY Floating Sideboard by Petite Modern Life >>and Ikea hack!<<

What do you guys think? Let me know if I can clarify anything in the comments below! Again I’m sorry that the cabinets we used have been discontinued! If you want more information on using BESTA cabinets to make a floating sideboard check out Anu’s floating sideboard on Nalleshouse.com!

If you loved this post, please share it with friends using the share buttons below! Go ahead and pin the below image to your DIY boards too! And thank you for stopping by!

DIY Floating Sideboard on Petite Modern Life >> an Ikea hack <<

**Click the images below to see the full living room reveal and other living room projects!**

modern signature

*This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and love. Read more on my FAQ page.*

Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

34 Comments

• Reply Corinna - For My Love Of

Wow! Just wow! It’s stunning and perfect for your space!

February 9, 2015 at 6:48 pm
    • Reply Petite Modern Life

February 9, 2015 at 7:05 pm
      • Reply torm3nt

Great idea! Q: does the remote frequency go through the doors? Or do you have to open them to work the dvd or cable box? Thx.

April 20, 2016 at 8:29 pm
        • Reply Petite Modern Life

The PS3 would go through the doors yes. We did leave them open while running the PS3 because it would get too hot inside!

April 21, 2016 at 1:05 pm
  • Reply Kyla @HouseOfHipsters

This is awesome! Totally modern and clean.

February 10, 2015 at 9:19 am
  • Reply Breanna

Seriously amazing! And I’m in love with your floors too :)

February 11, 2015 at 2:55 pm
  • Reply Carrie @ Kenarry: Ideas for the Home

Wow, Karisa! This floating entertainment center is incredible. I love the simple lines of the design. It look so cool in your living room.

February 11, 2015 at 6:03 pm
  • Reply Jesica

This looks so fabulous! We just installed a floating Besta under our TV to use as a media cabinet but I haven’t wrapped it in wood yet… I kept feeling intimidated by adding extra weight to the cabinet for some reason. I love the way the pine board turned out!

February 17, 2015 at 9:21 am
    • Reply Petite Modern Life

Thank you Jesica! It’s such a great storage solution isn’t it? Can’t wait to see more of your projects on your blog!

February 17, 2015 at 11:34 am
  • Reply carissamiss

I’m a sucker for ikea hacks! Love this! You are being featured at Outside [the Box]!

February 17, 2015 at 11:53 am
  • Reply Krystal

I have been wanting to do something like this for so long. It looks great! My question is ( and why I am taking so long to do mine ) regarding the cable boxes, PS4, etc. I hate seeing them out in the open on such a nice sideboard. I noticed you had yours inside the cabinet. How does the reception work? Do you have to keep the doors open when you watch tv?

February 18, 2015 at 7:36 am
    • Reply Petite Modern Life

Hi Krystal! We have all the TV consoles inside yes. The PS3 totally works doors closed. I assume the Wii does too, but you’d have to set the wand up while playing. The only qualm is that the PS3 gets way too hot if the doors are closed while it’s working hard for an hour. So we leave one door open while watching a movie or gaming. We could also cut a vent below it to help it cool down door closed! Hope that helps. It’s a perfect solution to hiding cables and consoles!

February 18, 2015 at 7:50 am
      • Reply Krystal

Good to hear the reception works with the doors closed. A hole in the back might be an option for cooling. Thanks for the info! Fingers crossed it works on my cable box too :)

February 18, 2015 at 11:31 am
  • Reply the cape on the corner

yes to this. enjoy! we finally put the mcm dresser i got at a thrift store to its intended use as a tv stand, so i am with you on the new and improved.
    b

February 25, 2015 at 12:40 pm
    • Reply Petite Modern Life

Thank you! It’s so nice to feel form + function with “the right piece”!

February 26, 2015 at 6:27 am
  • Reply Jenna @ A Savory Feast

This turned out great! I absolutely love how it looks in your house. Thanks for sharing the tutorial with Hump Day Happenings.

February 26, 2015 at 12:55 pm
  • Reply Hump Day Happenings 52 - The Crumby Cupcake

[…] DIY Floating Sideboard Tutorial from Petite Modern Life […]

March 3, 2015 at 5:05 pm
  • Reply 2015 one room challenge: Office makeover

[…] for me as a diyer, sometimes sewer, and in general a somewhat organized human.  Save for the DIY Floating Sideboard, I’ve never built an organization space, let alone designed a closet […]

April 2, 2015 at 4:01 am
  • Reply The Makers no. 53 - Home Made By Carmona

[…] you love Ikea Hacks then you’ll love this modern and stylish floating sideboard from Petite Modern Life. Head on over to view the full tutorial and check out the rest of her […]

April 10, 2015 at 9:17 am
  • Reply Elizabeth Midgett

This is awesome. I’m totally doing this in our media room.. But listen to this, I just went to Ikea to get the Sektion over the fridge cabinets and they now start at $147!! When you made your shopping list, they were $71? That’s crazy! Thanks for all the detailed pics and instructions.

May 12, 2015 at 4:10 pm
    • Reply Petite Modern Life

Elizabeth! I know :(( I was so bummed when I tried to link to the products I used and saw they were discontinued 2 weeks after I bought them!! (If I’d known I would’ve bought a ton!) I hope you can find a replacement one because it’s such a great piece! I’ll be taking mine with me when I move someday (sorry new owners…)

May 12, 2015 at 4:41 pm
  • Reply MaryAnn

I love your new space. It is refreshing; provides storage; reduces clutter; gives more space and it looks absolutely cute.

September 27, 2015 at 7:09 am
  • Reply The Makers Link Party

[…] you love Ikea Hacks then you’ll love this modern and stylish floating sideboard from Petite Modern Life. Head on over to view the full tutorial and check out the rest of her Scandi living room reveal […]

October 27, 2015 at 10:58 pm
  • Reply Anonymous

Did you consider or find any cabinets that would work with recessed doors? Doors that slide back into the unit instead of opening out into the room?

January 7, 2016 at 12:04 am
    • Reply Petite Modern Life

We didn’t look into that, but I do believe Ikea would have options in different models of their cabinets to do something along those lines! You’d just need to purchase their mounting rail system to have it float on the wall.

January 7, 2016 at 12:00 pm
  • Reply Anna

I seriously like this! May I ask, how are you hiding the cords from the tv down to the DVD player / cable box??

January 28, 2016 at 5:32 pm
    • Reply Petite Modern Life

Hi Anna! The cables are pulled through the wall through a simple outlet box down into the TV stand.

February 3, 2016 at 4:51 pm
  • Reply THE MAKERS NO. 53 - Club Narwhal

February 22, 2016 at 4:22 am
  • Reply DIY Picture Ledge + Prints - Petite Modern Life

[…] I’m going to continue with our Scandi Living Room Reveal DIYs! Last week I share our DIY Floating Sideboard Tutorial (Ikea hack) and I was honored by the love it received! Wish I could invite you over to see it and have a Harry […]

March 20, 2016 at 8:43 am
  • Reply Sarah Connelly

This is great! Just what we are after. Thanks for the post.

May 13, 2016 at 8:10 pm